This module is designed to present an overview of transformers and their applications in electronic circuits. Module work will be primarily based on transformer principles, design considerations and reinforcement of key concepts such as reflected load and maximum power transfer. Transformer types such as pulse, center tap, multiple winding and auto transformers are also discussed.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain the basic operating principles of the transformer.
- Draw the schematic symbols for iron and air core transformers.
- Explain the standard markings used to identify transformer windings.
- Discuss the principles of reflected loads and impedance matching.
- List the various losses associated with transformers.
- Express the significance of transformer polarity.
- Differentiate between isolation transformers and auto transformers.
- Troubleshoot transformers.