This module introduces the student to electromagnetic induction, Faraday's law and Lenz's law. Various types of inductors are described and the student will learn to calculate the values of transients in RL circuits. This module also covers inductors in series and parallel, and the effect on current, voltage and inductive reactance in these circuits.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Describe the principle of electromagnetic induction and flux linkages.
- List the four basic factors that determine the magnitude of an induced EMF.
- Explain Lenz's law and the principle of counter EMF.
- Define self inductance and mutual inductance.
- List various types of inductors used in electrical and electronic circuits.
- Discuss the differences between inductors connected in series and in parallel.
- Explain inductive time constants and transients in RL circuits.
- Discuss energy stored in a magnetic field.
- Troubleshoot inductors.