This module introduces the student to the fundamentals of alternating voltages and currents. In addition to sine waves, the module also covers non sinusoidal waveforms and harmonic frequencies. The principles of frequency, period, and wavelength are presented emphasizing practical applications and troubleshooting techniques. Theoretical areas of study include instantaneous, RMS and average values of sine waves.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Identify sine waves.
- Explain the instantaneous value of a sine wave.
- Convert radians to electrical degrees and vice versa.
- Define frequency, period and wavelength.
- Determine the average and RMS values of a sine wave.
- Explain the phase relationships between alternating current and voltage.
- Differentiate between a sinusoidal wave and a non sinusoidal wave.
- Name three types of non sinusoidal waves.
- Define harmonics.