This module includes the study of both analogue and digital dc measuring instruments including ammeters, voltmeters, and ohmmeters. Voltmeter loading and sensitivity are presented with an emphasis on practical applications and safe operation of these instruments. This module also covers multimeters, electronic meters, and an introduction to digital measuring instruments.
Upon completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Explain the necessity of a shunt resistor in a dc ammeter circuit.
- Describe the effects of ammeter and voltmeter loading.
- Explain the basic operation of a multi range ammeter.
- Discuss the purpose of a multiplier resistor in a dc voltmeter.
- Define voltmeter sensitivity.
- Describe the operating characteristics of the dc wattmeter.
- Describe the operation of the ohmmeter.
- Discuss the basic principles of electronic and digital multimeters.